Tuesday, October 1, 2013

2013 Center City Restaurant Week @ Zento Contemporary Japanese Cuisine

Zento Contemporary Japanese Cuisine is one of the best sushi restaurants in Philadelphia! Of course, this is just my opinion on this topic. So, why am I so hooked on this place? Because they're not cheap when it comes to their sushi fillings and the taste is just magical! For an example, my favorite sushi roll is the spicy salmon roll. Surprisingly, this is not a roll that is served in many of the sushi restaurants in Philadelphia. So Zento already gets a star for just having it. Again, this is my opinion. But what makes their spicy salmon roll so special to me is the huge chunks of salmon pieces they put in it! They don't grind it up into a paste like some places I've been too and they don't skimp on the star of the dish. I fall in love with it every time I take a bite!

As I mentioned in my previous posts, restaurant week is a great time for anyone to go out and try new restaurants. I went on a Saturday night with some family members and I didn't expect them to be serving the restaurant week $35 dinner set because according to the Center City Restaurant week website, this event was only happening from Sunday to Friday for two weeks with both Saturdays excluded. So I was lucky to be able to try it! Below you'll find out what I ordered for my dinner meal at Zento during restaurant week.


First Course - Appetizer
There were many options for the first course, such as miso soup, seaweed salad, steamed mussels, and so forth. But I ended up ordering the homemade crab cakes because it seemed like the easiest to share with my party group. Also, this was only of the items that they normally didn't serve as part of their menu. It was delicious! I loved how it wasn't too heavy like some crab cakes I've tried and the garlic tartar sauce on top was the right amount. So I was happy with this pick.

Homemade Crab Cake
Second Course - Entree
For the entree, you were given the choice to choose two rolls or one sushi and sashimi entree. I ended up ordering two rolls that had salmon in it. This was the Volcano Roll (deep fried, smoked salmon, imitation crab, shrimp tempura, avocade and masago) and Alaska Roll (spicy california roll, fresh salmon with sweet miso glaze, yuzu miso creme friache). But rolls were well made and we definitely filling for two people to eat (I shared my dinner set with the boyfriend's mom).

Volcano Roll and Alaska Roll
Third Course - Dessert <3
I absolutely love sweets! So this was something I was looking forward to. The two options were tofu cheesecake and mochi ice cream. I had the mochi ice cream here before, so I wanted to try something else. So I picked the tofu cheesecake since it was new on their menu and something I haven't tried before. It wasn't what I expected because when I heard "cheesecake" in its name, I thought it would be more cake-like with cream cheese like the new york cheesecake. But it was more like a pudding instead of a cheesecake! There wasn't a taste of cheesecake at all, at least not what I imagined it to be. It was a very light piece of dessert, which I thought was a great piece to end the meal with. There were two pieces of lychee in it which gave the tofu cheesecake its favor. I only wished there were more lychees in it because it was delicious. Overall, I was happy with this choice!

Tofu Cheesecake
Favorite Food!
Here's a picture of my favor salmon! It's two orders of spicy salmon roll (8 pieces per order) and one order of salmon sashimi. They made the sashimi into a rose shape! So pretty and delicious! I love how the salmon just melts in my mouth. As I mentioned in the beginning of this post, Zento doesn't skimp on the salmon! See how that salmon is just budging out! Absolutely delicious.

Spicy Salmon Roll and Salmon Sashimi
Zento Contemporary Japanese Cuisine
132 Chestnut Street
Philadelphia, PA 19106
www.zentocontemporary.com

Parking: Street parking available in front of the restaurant as well as the surrounding area. There is a parking lot located on Front Street between Chestnut and Walnut Streets.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, marvelous blog layout! How long have you been blogging for? you made blogging look easy. The overall look of your website is excellent, as well as the content!

    ReplyDelete